In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world. -John 16:33
Jesus says in His Living Word that we will face trials and troubles in this life. This statement comes with a 100% guarantee, no refunds.
We have two important decisions to make:
- How we perceive the trial
- How we react to the trial
5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. -Philippians 4: 5-6
When you are faced with trials, do you turn to Jesus or do you try to fix it on your own? Being the control freak that I am, I certainly have tried to be in control when I simply needed to hand it over to God. I will admit that as we face this COVID 19 crisis, I have spent to much time in my planner trying to figure out a new routine, a school schedule, a way to make sure daddy can do his work with minimal interruptions, a way to make sure kids can burn off energy, a way to balance screen time… and the list goes on and on. Have I stopped for a moment and asked God what HIS plan is for my family during all of this?
Guilty as charged.
How about instead of starting with what you have, you start with what Jesus has. -Max Lucado
As I read that quote, I was convicted. I have been trying to do everything without consulting the One who is right here with me. I have been anxiously trying to make the perfect plan and have the perfect schedule. Why? Because I fear failure and hold ridiculously high standards for myself. But how can I possibly think that I could do this on my own?
Jesus is as near as our next breath. -Max Lucado
-to Abram: Do not be afraid. I am your shield. Genesis 15:1
-to Hagar: Do not be afraid. God has heard. Genesis 21:17
-to Joshua after Moses died: Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you, wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
Because the Lord is near, we can be anxious for nothing.
Easier said than done…but POSSIBLE!
Max gives us an awesome tool to help us stay CALM in the midst of chaos:
- Celebrate God’s goodness- How will you express your joy and gratitude to God today?
- Ask God for help- Come to Him in prayer. Let your requests be known to Him. He is listening, always listening!
- Leave your concerns with Him- Cast your anxieties on Him. He is willing to bear them for you. There is no burden to big for Jesus.
- Meditate on good things- Surround yourself with His word. Pray the scriptures. Journal. Whatever allows you to spend time with Him and to be reminded of His goodness.
Max has a wonderful resource for us to begin the journey of feeling anxious for nothing. Head over to his website, scroll down and download the Prayer Guide, C.A.L.M Guide and the Philipians 4:6-7 Printable
- What is your first reaction when you face a trial?
- What part of CALM do you need to focus on right now in the season of life you are in?
For next week:
Watch the session 3 video.
Read chapters 6 and 7 in the book Anxious for Nothing.